Mechanical Stresses can be caused by a variety of factors eg.
- Mowing too low or with blunt mower blades
- Cultural operations during excessively wet conditions
- Scarification/deep verti-cutting when sward is already stressed or not actively growing
- Excessive play traffic during wet conditions
- Excessive or insufficient irrigation
Swards which are subjected to undue mechanical stresses during the year will be less weak and thin, shallow rooted and will therefore be able to withstand Fusarium Patch attacks.